An immense wall blocks the horizon, a wall Mexicans call “The Wall of Shame”. This monolithic wall shows the ambiguity of the border relationship between Mexico and the United States. The applicants going through are always numerous; the coyotes get greedier every time and the police control of the American border is increasingly violent (…) Through a whole new and sometimes spectacular way, he [Jorge Vargas] transforms the scene into a transitional space where he focuses on the everyday attempts of Mexican illegal immigrants in search of El Dorado: a man who has departed and of whom nothing is known. His destiny: Texas. A woman who, through self-replication, tries to rebuild herself, seeking an identity, a body, a schedule. She begins an imaginary dialogue with the missing one. Throughout the play, the characters unfold, their faces multiply, into hundreds of thousands of identities that look alike, that make-up the image of a small town in endless exile, emptying itself inexorably. Amarillo is a physical theater show, in which its committed actors offer up a performance worthy of a ballet.
Emmanuel Serafini / Director Les Hivernales, Avignon
Creation and Cast: Raúl Mendoza, Alicia Laguna, María Luna, Vianey Salinas, Antígona González, Jesús Cuevas / Texts: Gabriel Contreras / Poem: Muerte (Death) by Harold Pinter / Lightning and Space Design: Jesús Hernández / Multimedia Device: Kay Perez / Video Production: Marina España, Raúl Mendoza, Kay Perez / Video Operation: Marina España / Original Music: Jorge Verdín – Clorofila / Voice, Music and Samplers: Jesús Cuevas / Sound Design: Rodrigo Espinosa / Technical Direction: Jesús Hernández / Technical Assistance: Antígona González / Mechanisms: Raúl Mendoza / Tableaux: Juana Inés Luna / Photography: Roberto Blenda / Production and Management Assistant: Sandra Patricia Díaz / Executive Production: Alicia Laguna / Spanish Staging: Jorge A. Vargas* / Production: Teatro Línea de Sombra (Shadow Line Theater) and México en Escena (México Staged).
* Member of the Sistema Nacional de Creadores de Arte (National System of Art Creators), Fondo Nacional para la Cultura y las Artes (National Fund for Culture and Arts)
This project was completed through the support of the professional artist group program México en Escena and Teatro Línea de Sombra A.C.
Premio a la mejor obra extranjera (Award for Best Foreign Film), ACE Awards, 2012, New York, U.S.A..
Audience Award, Festival EXPONTO, Ljubljana, Slovenia.
Chicago on the aisle, Sep 18, 2017
Chicago Tribune, Oct 18, 2017
Boston Splash Magazines, Oct 18, 2017
- May 28 to July 12, Teatro el Milagro (Miracle Theater), Mexico City.
- November 15, Culiacán, México.
- November 26 to 28, Teatro Benito Juárez (Benito Juárez Theater), Mexico City.
- December 19 to 29, Teatro el Milagro (Miracle Theater), Mexico City.
- March 20, Teatro el Milagro (Miracle Theater), Mexico City
- July 7 to 9, International Hispanic Theater Festival of Miami A Tribute to Mex.USA
- July 16 to 25, Teatro el Milagro (Miracle Theater), Mexico City.
- September – November, School Theater, Teatro el Milagro (Miracle Theater), Mexico City.
- October 6 to 8, Daehangno Arts Theater, International Theater Olympics, Seoul, South Korea.
- October 31 to November 01, XXXII Festival Internacional de Manizales (International Manizales Festivales), Teatro Los Fundadores (Founders Theater), Colombia.
- December 17, Teatro el Milagro (Miracle Theater), Mexico City.
- March 3, Les Hivernales, Festival de Danse 33 édition, Avignon, France.
- May 3 and 4, Festival UCSUR, Lima, Perú.
- April 28 to June 5, Teatro Julio Castillo (Julio Castillo Theater), Mexico City.
- June 15 to 18, Fest Radar, Red Cat, Los Angeles, California, USA.
- August 23, Festival Cena Contemporânea, Brasilia, Brazil.
- October 01, 1er Festival Internacional de Teatro Escena (1st International Stage Theater Festival), T. Angela Peralta (Angela Peralta Theater), Mazatlán, México.
- October 6 and 7, Festival SISMO (SEISM Festival), Matadero Madrid, Spain.
- October 11, Festival de Teatro de Molina (Molina Theater Festival), Murcia, Spain.
- October 16, Festival Translatines. Teatro principal (Main Theater), San Sebastián, Spain.
- October 18, Léspace Jeliot, Oloron-Sainte-Marie, France.
- 21 y 22 de octubre, Festival Translatiens, Teatro Nacional, Bayonne, Francia
- October 16, Teatro Principal San Sebastian, Spain
- October 18 á l’Espace Jéliote, Oloron, Sainte Marie, France
- Octobre 21 y 22, Les translatines Festival Theatre, 30 Festival France, Theatre Iberique et Latino-americain, Bayonne, France
- October 27 and 28, Festival Iberoamericano de Teatro La lechera (Iberoamerican Theater Festival La Lechera), Cádiz, Spain.
- October 30 and 31 , MITIN, Seville, Spain.
- November 14 to 16, TNT, Bordeaux, France.
- November 19, Festival Des Libertés (Festival of Liberties), Brussels, Belgium.
- November 22 to 26, Théâtre Silvia Monfort (Silvia Monfort Theater), Paris, France.
- January 17 to 19, Arts Clube Theater Company PuSh International Performing Arts, Vancouver, Canada.
- April 1 to 3, Teatro de Chacao (Chacao Theater), FITC Festival International de Teatro de Caracas Venezuela (FITC Caracas International Theater Festival).
- July 14, Dunkerque Francia, Festival Manifesto, Palais du Littoral
- July 27 and 28, Teatro Estudio del Bicentenario (Bicentennial Study Theater), León, Guanajuato, México
- September 7 and 8, Teatro Mayor Julio Mario Santo Domingo (Julio Mario Santo Domingo Major Theater), Colombia, Bogotá.
- September 11 and 12, Festival Mirada, Brazil, Santos,
- September 15 and 16, El Complejo Teatral de Buenos Aires (Buenos Aires Theater Complex), Argentina.
- September 27, Festival Internacional de Chihuahua (International Chihuahua Festival), Teatro Víctor Hugo Rascón Banda Juárez (Víctor Hugo Rascón Banda Juarez Theater), México
- October 18 to 20, Theater Stage Fest, Baruch Performing Arts Center, New York, USA.
- October 25 and 26, Cumberland Country College, Vineland New Jersey, USA.
- November 2 and 3, Gala Hispanic Theater, Washington DC, USA.
- November 8 to 11, On the Boards, Seattle WA, USA.
- November 20, Festival Automne en Normandie, Evreux, France.
- November 27 and 28, L’espal-Scène Conventionnée Du Mans, Le Mans, France.
- November 30, La Halle aux Grains Scène Nationale de Blois, Blois, France.
- December 6, L’Avant-Seine- Theâtre de Colombes, Colombes, France
- January 30 to February 2,Ville Muhonen Theatre, SPOON Kaupunginteatteri (The International Theatre of Finland), Helsinki.
- March 10, Teatro San Francisco,Pachuca, Hidalgo, México.
- jun 1 and 2, Jun, MIRADA Sesc Festival, Pompeia Theater, Brazil
- August 8 to 11, Teatro Julio Castillo (Julio Castillo Theater), México City.
- November 19 to December 8, Tenosique, Tabasco, México.
- December 6 and 7, Teatro El Rinoceronte Enamorado (The Besotted Rhinoceros Theater), San Luis Potosí, México.
- April 10 to 14, Teatre Nacional de Catalunya (Catalonia National Theater), Barcelona, Spain.
- September MIRADA Festival
- September 21, Exponto, Anton Podbevšek Teater (Anton Podbevsek Theater, Novo Mesto) Ljubljana, Slovenia.
- November 23,Universal Hall, Skopje, Macedonia.
- November 19 and 20, Small Theater of National Theater of China, Beijing.
- November 26, Salon social La Patrona (La Patrona Social Lounge), Orizaba, México.
- February 16, T. Larva, Guadalajara, México.
- May 2, Heidelberg Stückemarkt, Germany.
- July 29 and 30, Teatro Municipal Humberto Sinibaldi (Humberto Sinibaldi Neto Municipal Theater) FIT, Rio Preto, Brazil.
- October 26 and 27, Spielart Festival München, Münich, Germany.
- January 29 and 30, Casa de La Cultura Ixtepec (Ixtepec Cultural Center), Ixtepec, Oaxaca, México.
- October 16 and 17, Sucre Teatro Pumapungo (Sucre Theater Pumapungo), Quito, Ecuador.
- January 19, Teatro de la Ciudad Fernando Soler (Fernando Soler City Theater), Saltillo, México.
- June 8 and 9, The Gerding Theater at Armony Building, Portland Oregon, USA.
- January 27, Open Air Theater, La ruta migrante (The Migrant Route), Caborca, México.
- October 18 to 29, Chicago Shakespeare Theater, Chicago, USA.
- December 18, Open air theater at the site of the real wall dividing the USA and Agua Prieta, Sonóra, México.
- March 28 and 29, McCullough Theatre, Austin, Texas, USA.
- April 12 to 14, FIND Festival International Neue Dramatik, Schaubuhne, Berlin, Germany.
- May 4, Teatro El Sauzal (El Sauzal Theater), Tenerife, Spain.
- July 21, Mostra Internacional de Teatro de Ribadavia 35, Ribadavia, Galicia, Auditorio de Castelo Spain.
- July 26 to 28, Teatro Juan Ruiz de Alarcón (Juan Ruiz de Alarcón Theater), Mexico City.
- September 13 and 15, Toga Art Park of Toyama, SCOT Suzuki Company Of Toga, Rock Theater, Open Air Theater, Japan.
- October 23 and 24, Teatro Eliseo Nuoro (Eliseo Nuoro Theater), Sardinia, Italy.
- October 26, 27 and 28, Teatro Massimo Cagliari (Cagliari Massimo Theater), Sardinia, Italy.
- December 18, Open Air Theater, Tlaxcala, México.
- January 29 and 30, Thalia Theater, Hamburg, Germany.